Monday, December 10, 2012

Strategies in the Classroom

Hi there!  A lot of students have "use strategies to handle frustration" as their personal goal, and I wanted to give you a peek as to what that looks like in the classroom.  A "strategy" can include simply taking a few deep breaths before continuing with the activity.  It could be talking to a teacher about what the student is finding frustrating at the moment.  It could be using a fidget tool, weighted vest, or headphones.   For a lot of students, a short break from the group or demand can be very helpful.  I encourage students to take breaks in the classroom.  I find that by taking their break where they can still hear what the other children are doing allows the student to re-enter the routine much more smoothly.  Here are some pictures of "Relaxation Stations," five in the classroom and one in the hallway.  Near each "Relaxation Station" is a timer, a small bin on fidget tools, a stack cards with a variety of OT strategies, and a ring of cards with positive self-affirmations that the child can look at while taking their break.  These affirmations include things like, "I am a valuable person," "I have good ideas," and "I am loved."  I think all of us could benefit from reading the affirmations each day! 










No comments:

Post a Comment